I have just returned from an over a month long most fabulous car journey. And yet, it feels so great to be back HOME and get down to work!
With a minor break for the Winter Holidays, of course!
As much as I am overwhelmed with the current plans for my studio work, I’d like to turn to the nearest past and share some of my fresh experience, as posting on the way was hardly feasible, and I don’t wonna miss this one.
And not to forget, this is a DIARY, in no way a THESIS; the main idea here is to register facts from the Natural Dyeing practice my being just a humble apprentice in the ancient art of dyeing with the Nature. Although some of my findings might as well be valuable for the fellow apprentices!
Up in Lithuania with my dear friend Ina we had a dyeing session for which we used mostly local plants from the area with a small exception of a few euca leaves from the sauna broom. For fabric, we took silk, cotton and cotton jersey.
The method of the fabric pretreatment we used, is a part of the dyeing technique I developed for my batik works quite a few summers ago; which could very well add to the subject matter of an enthralling demonstration!
All was simmered for about 2 hours in the dye bath with the same plants we used for printing. The next day the bundles were unrolled first thing in the morning.
Gratifying is the fact that Celandine and Strawberry combination yielded a really bright, multi color print. And in comparison to the effect we got from the euca leaves, the Celandine gave more complex and deep color.
So far, Celandine (Chelidonium majus) holds its honorary position in my Preferences List of the local plants for yielding bright complex colors; although being a subject to further testing for wash-fastness.
Shown is the piece of silk :